Friday, May 27, 2016

Traffic and Tantrums (Almost)

Parramatta Road on any given evening, about 5pm, is an absolute nightmare. It doesn't discriminate. Weekday and weekends, it is fairly consistent. Absolute nightmare!

I found myself smack bang in the middle of one of these joyous traffic 5pm specials one weekend. We were crawling towards the M4. Baby steps. One roll forward, two kilometres back... You get the gist. I had two bordering on cranky kids in the car. I was stuck in a jam. What do I do? I started speaking in my Valley Girl accent. 

For the next 15 mins I took on the role of a Valley Girl to keep them entertained. 

"Oh my gahd why is there, like, so much traffic?" I shrilled suddenly as Tata was about to burst out into a whinge attack because I apparently did not buy the lolly she wanted from the store "back there"... Wherever "there" was. I do not have a clue because apparently I should not ask because I know. I don't. Really.

"So, like, if you're totally good, you totally get, like, some candy okay?" I said, this new persona possessed me. 

"Um, okay" Tata agreed surprised, her tears forgotten. 

Toto was laughing gaily in his seat. 

"Mummy!" He gasped in between laughter. "You sound real!"

"Uh hell-ooooo?" I cried out, continuing on with this crazy accent. "Like, euwwwww, I'm totally real! Can't you see, like, I'm totally human. Like. You know?"

They laughed and continued to talk to Valley Girl. I was having a blast. After I drove for about a maximum of 1 kilometre, I gave up fighting the traffic and turned into Burwood. 

"Detour kids," I said in my normal voice. "We're having Tim Ho Wan baked buns for dinner."

"Mummy where is the other voice?" Tata asked, disappointed my accent was gone.

"Mummy is hungry," I replied. "The voice has to rest."

"That was cool mummy," Toto chuckled.

"Cool!" Tata agreed, her face beaming. 

I smiled smugly to myself as I drove into Westfield. I was cool. They thought their mum was cool. Even for just half the length of that atrocity we call Parramatta Road. 

Well, like, give me a high five, okay? 😉😋

No comments:

Post a Comment